Thursday, May 7, 2015

Too Busy on the Phone



My phone is always next to me. Even when I’m asleep, it rests a few inches from my face on my nightstand.  When I’m watching a movie, my phone is within arm’s reach on the coffee table.  My phone is just a few inches away from the keyboard I’m typing on.

Part of me enjoys having technology so close. I can stay up-to-date with my friends by checking my social media accounts; I can stay in contact with people that I don’t see very often.  I can see the latest & greatest trends on Instagram, and I can laugh at the funny memes people post. I can watch the videos my friends make on Snapchat and see the adventures they’ve recently had. I can stay updated on current news through the News Outlets’ Facebook posts. Most importantly, if someone needs to get into contact with me, they can. Pretty easily too.

I feel safe when I have my cell phone on me, whether it’s because I know I can easily call for help or because people can easily reach me in case of an emergency. 

The other part of me hates that it’s so easy and so addicting. How many times do I check Facebook a day? How many times do I look at Instagram?

I check Facebook, especially during the work week, probably 6 times a day. Instagram? That’s probably 15 times a day.  I only check Snapchat about once a week or when I’m incredibly bored.

When I find myself standing in line or sitting at a traffic light, I tend to pull my phone out and browse social media. What happened to just sitting there, patiently waiting for my turn to go?  Or enjoying the song on the radio? Or browsing through a magazine off the rack?

It’s like I always have to be doing something to pass the time. I always have to be in the loop and know what’s going on.

The past few months I’ve been paying attention to my phone usage. When Kevin and I go out and he has to go to the bathroom or something, I used to immediately pull my phone out and catch up on whatever mundane things I missed until he gets back to the table.

I  hated being that person; the one who can’t stand to sit alone at a table without looking at her phone.

I’m trying to be more conscious and enjoy the moments instead of occupying myself on my cell phone. I wonder how many great things I missed because I was too busy looking down at a screen instead of looking up at my surroundings.


What about you? Do you think you spend too much time on the phone?

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment