Monday, August 10, 2015

The Power of Makeup



It takes me only a couple of minutes to put on make up. I wear 4 items (an eye shadow base, eye shadow on top of the base, mascara, and eyeliner). Five items if you count my non-tinted moisturizer.

I'm sure I would look better if I wore foundation (I have red marks, acne scars, and dark circles under my eyes that could be covered), but I just don't want to because 1) I don't really know how to put make up on and 2) I'm trying to cure my acne and I don't want to clog my pores with foundation, blush, and concealer.

It's been a year and a half since I had my terrible break out, and I'm still trying to heal my skin. For the first year, I hated the way I looked. Sometimes I still get really upset with my face (I say I look like I have chicken pox), but most days I've accepted it and realized how great I look compared to when I first had my bad breakout/allergic reaction from switching products.

My point is: I don't wear make up that hides anything, except for the eye shadow (it hides the purple-blue veins that you can see through my thin eyelids). When I take off my eye makeup, I pretty much look the same except my eyes are less defined because I don't have my mascara or eyeliner on.

Now to my point...

Have you ever seen Wife Swap? Years ago there was an episode with one wife whose husband has never seen her without make up. Ever.

How does this happen? Does she sleep in a full face of make up every night and then wash her face and put a new layer of make up on before her husband wakes up? Do they not go swimming or take showers together? Does she never get sick with the flu and have no energy to waste on applying make up?

I cannot imagine putting that much effort into make up or wearing make up every second of every day.

Most importantly, I cannot imagine being married to someone who wouldn't want to see me without make up. Or someone who would want me to wear make up every day because he thinks I look better with make up on than I do natural. What the hell is that?

Then you have people like this jerk who sues his new wife because she looks really different without make up on.  What the hell is wrong with you?

But really, I can't understand how you even date someone/live with someone/get married to someone and they never see you without make up on. How is that even possible?

But let's not just blame this only on guys. There are plenty of women who choose not to let their husbands ever see them without make up. Some worry their husband won't find them as attractive, but others say they do it because it shows how much they love their husbands.

‘On our first date, Carlton said he loved the effort I put into my appearance,’ says Susan. ‘It’s not an effort to make myself look perfect for him, it’s a privilege. It’s a way of showing how much I care about him and making him believe I’m the most beautiful creature to grace the Earth. Carlton has never seen me without make-up — and he never will.’ Source
Do you know how I show Kevin I love him? I cook him dinner or dessert. I dress up in a cute dress when we go on dates. I show interest in his hobbies. We talk and watch  movies and dance.

But I don't wear make up (or even nice clothes) 95% of the time that we are together. When he gets home from work, I'm usually in pajamas or a ratty old t-shirt. Because, hello, I want to be comfortable after a 9 hour work day.

But does he care? No. Because he loves me with & without make up. In sweats & in a black dress.

Would you wear make up 24/7 if your boyfriend/husband asked you to? And, if your boyfriend/husband did ask that of you, would you consider breaking up with him?

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment